07 November 2009

"Oh, Chick Pea was a racehorse and I wish he were mine" --with multiple apologies to Peter, Paul & Mary


Don't you love misheard lyrics? I don't need to mishear them to miss-sing them.

It takes very little to get a song in my head. Sometimes it's a turn of a phrase. Sometimes a particular word. Sometimes it's just a rhythm. Doesn't even have to be a long rhythm. I did 10 minutes on "This Train", that gospel classic that Peter Paul & Mary kicked fanny on, because I said "chick pea." That's all. Chick pea.

Chick pea don't carry no gamblers, chick pea!
Chick pea don't carry no gamblers, chick pea!
Chick pea don't carry no gamblers,
No crap shooters, no midnight ramblers
Chick pea don't carry no gamblers, chick pea!

I sold it!

Stupid? Yeah. But that's how my brain works. Stupid-like. But I can amuse myself for 10 minutes without the need for batteries, so that's something.

Does anyone else do this? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

From Lala.com a sample of the real deal

8 comments:

Bowie Mike said...

I was in a design session with a co-worker this past week, and I said, "there are two paths we can go down," and then we both looked at each other, smiled, and he said, "but in the long run, there's still time to change the road we're on!" - a slight bastardization of the Stairway to Heaven lyrics.

It's also a common practice in our house to make up lyrics that fit the moment and steal melodies from popular songs. The kids think it's funny today, but eventually they will be annoyed by it.

Under the misheard lyrics category, my niece used to sing Joan Jett: I love rock and roll, put another dime in the shoe box, baby!

Congrats on the making it through week 1. I am going to try to do my part by commenting for 30 days in a row.

Kate said...

Dude! I sang it Secret Asian man for YEARS!

Mike said...

I sang the Aerosmith song 'Do the lucky lady' for a long time. You can imagine how I felt when I found out the real words.

Anonymous said...

I used to sing "Pour some Sugar Bombay" really loudly as a kid. And a friend in high school sang "Changes" instead of Garth Brooks "Shameless".

Mike said...

How's the everyday blogging working for you? I may celebrate at the end of the month by cutting back myself. It seems like fewer people are reading.

lacochran said...

Bowie Mike: I love you. (Too soon?)

Kate: I bet you were adorable doing it.

Mike: Ha! Fabulous.

HKW: Sugar Bombay? Wasn't that the doctor's wife on Bewitched?

Mike: It's killing me. Well, no, that's probably the Sugar Bombay Lemon Drops. It's okay. The weekends are pretty dang quiet, though.

FoggyDew said...

Somebody actually did a book about this called, wait for it: "Excuse me while I kiss this guy." Classic misheard lyric. I have one, but it's too embarrassing to reveal.

Dmbosstone said...

How do I be a secret Asian man?