21 June 2008

Me and My Arrow

Look:

See it?

Neither did I.

How about now:



Still not sure?

How about we move outside the car for a better look:


Yup. That's me. Overdue for my safety inspection. Way overdue.

Oopsie!

Back when I was in the communist zone (Maryland), the state would remind me of any thing I needed to know, car-wise and law-wise. Such a considerate state. I miss my comrades.

Now that I am in the fascist dominion (Virginia), I'm on my own to keep up with the state-required safety inspection and, apparently, I lack the basic skills to check a sticker once in a while or put a reminder into my planner.

No problem, really. I've been lucky--nobody's noticed.

I take my car in for a safety inspection and...


Uh-oh.

I am unsafe!

The horror!

The shame!

Look away. I can not bare your disdain!

The mechanic hands me a post-it listing four items that need to be fixed. He says, "Don't worry, it'll only cost you another dollar."

Me: "It'll only cost a dollar to get all these things fixed?!"

He laughs: "No! It'll only cost a dollar to get it re-inspected once all these things are fixed."

Yuh. Such a relief.

7 comments:

Bilbo said...

AARRGGHH - I have two cars both due for inspections this month, and I know one of them won't pass, no matter how much I whine and grovel. Oh, well...welcome to "the fascist Dominion."

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

I just had my car inspected yesterday. If Maryland is communist about it and Virginia is fascist, then D.C.'s system is autocratic. There's only one place where you can have your car inspected and I don't exaggerate when I say the line stretches around the block. It's absurd. And a pain in the ass. Thank God I only have to go every other year.

lacochran said...

Bilbo: If you were in Maryland, you'd only be sent to the gulag. But, here,... *shakes head* I'll tell your wife and kids you were brave up until the end.

J.M. Tewkesbury: So if we have all these safety inspections, how come I still regularly get behind trucks that are traveling at a 45 degree angle and belching the foulest smoke you've ever smelled?

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Ha! EXCELLENT question. I wonder the same thing here in the city. I think someone's getting paid under the table.

GreenCanary said...

"Communist zone." *laughing* How true!

Anonymous said...

You law breaker, you! :)

lacochran said...

Zandria: Busted! And I have limited time to get this stuff fixed. Had it at the mechanic's Tuesday and it turns out I'm gonna have to sell a kidney to be able to afford to get my "approved" sticker. Joyjoyjoy.