24 April 2009

"And so I came to see him and listen for a while" --Roberta Flack, Fugees, etc.

This is a great area for live music and it does me good to get out and hear some now and then. So...

We went to the Birchmere last night for the Jazzy Soul Collective with a few friends. This consisted of a fantastic back-up band and three singers who took turns performing all evening. The headliner, Eric Roberson, seemed like he thought he was all that. To me? Mm, not so much.

The other two, Angela Johnson and Anthony David, were quite good. I recommend catching them if you get the chance. Here's a sample of Anthony David for your listening pleasure:



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many things to take advantage of here! Have you ever been to HR-57 on 14th street? It's jazz AND BYOB. New Vegas Lounge around the corner from there is awesome too, but can be a bit yuppie/fratty on occasion.

PS: my word verification? holla. very cool.

Liebchen said...

Ooh, I like this. It's just what I needed to mellow out my busy Friday. (Busy Fridays, btw? Should not be allowed.)

f.B said...

Did he perform this last night? It has the feel of something that would sound even better live with some crisp percussion... Liked it.

Narm said...

The real question - was he all that AND a bag chips. This is important.

Rahul said...

Love the birchmere.

G said...

Listening to this was like a shot of Demerol; not that I have regular shots of Demerol ;)

lacochran said...

lustyreader: Haven't been. Thanks for the tip! Holla!

Liebchen: Sorta bluesy, sorta sexy, sorta relatable emotion, sorta catchy. :)

f.B: He performed this number while the band was on break so it was him and his guitar. Plus a groupie named Peaches that sat on the edge of the stage.

Narm: The headliner? Thought he was all that, a bag of chips, and two snaps up. He was a poor man's Al Jarreau (with apologies to Al Jarreau). He was all about bringing the sexy but his mojo wasn't working on me.

Rs27: I can't believe you lived in Baltimore and got to the Birchmere! You so should have called me!

G: Of course not. ;)

Barbara said...

I love the Birchmere. In its early years, the air was so thick with smoke, you could barely see the performers. The food has always been mediocre and heavy on the fat, but the music is never a disappointment. And now that smoking is no longer allowed, we can breathe and see who's singing.

lacochran said...

Barbara: Yeah, and the chairs aren't particularly comfortable either but it's all worth it. :)