13 August 2008

Ketchup Fraud

I was the victim of a shamockery this past weekend. It's not too late for you to learn from my mistake. For the love/hate of Emeril, don't let this happen to you.*

In the midsts of our travels we hit a chain for bites and booze.** I looked over and saw this (pictured) ketchup bottle. I like ketchup (no matter how it's spelled) and I don't care who knows it. It's sweet and tomatoey and all-Americanly perfect on fries. Yeah, I'll do malt vinegar but they're our allies.

Me: Isn't that nice! A new bottle of ketchup for us! I don't think I've ever seen a new, full bottle like this at a restaurant before! I feel special!***

Hubby, picks up ketchup: It's not full. The bottle is opaque. This is a third full at best.

Me: Bastards.

I blame W for leading the country down a path of lies and ultimate disillusion. I fear for motherhood and apple pie next.



* You don't see much of Emeril these days. Hard to believe catch phrases like "BAM!" and "Pork Fat Rules" failed to continue to inspire the country.

** Not necessarily in that order.

*** I'm always exclamationy when I feel special. Sometimes the neighbors complain.

5 comments:

Narm said...

You may want to edit this to say Freedom Fries or the Patriot Act will come to your house and kick your shins.

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

I hate it when they spell ketchup - catsup - I loath the fact that Disney only sells hunts - I only eat heinz

Sean said...

At least it was Heinz ketchup. One of the reasons I don't eat at Ruby Tuesday's is because they don't have Heinz.

Reya Mellicker said...

I love ketchup too, even including all the high fructose corn syrup that's in most brands including Heinz (guaranteed to give you diabetes if you eat too much of it).

Sigh.

I made ketchup from scratch once, using the recipe in Joy of Cooking. It was so good!

lacochran said...

Narm: Did you hear something? Are you in league with them??

Zipcode: It does seem pretentious somehow. Um, you don't have to support Disney.

Sean: Hey, you and I posting about ketchup on the same week. What are the odds? Congrats on the featured dcblogs post, too.

Reya: From... scratch? Wow.