13 May 2014

"You don't send me flowers" --Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond




I did something a little different Friday. I took a Craigslist gig. Once I got used to the snugness of the  French maid's outfit, it wasn't so bad. *shakes head* Those wacky French.

Okay, maybe not. What I did do: I took a day off from my standard work and helped a local florist get their Mother's Day deliveries done. It was a long day for not a lot of money but it was nice making people happy with the deliveries. And they were happy! Very!

Here's the thing... I delivered 23 bouquets/arrangements and got lots of thank yous but not one tip. Not a one. I smiled and was pleasant. The deliveries were beautiful. So, what the heck? Which leads me to the...

Question du jour: When you get a delivery, do you tip?


7 comments:

Raye S. said...

I have never received flowers and I don't tip the UPS or FedeX man. But as a professional housekeeper I can attest to that also being a profession where in no one tips.

Love your blog by the way!

Mike said...

We don't get flowers delivered that often. But when they do show up it's because someone else ordered them. Maybe that's the difference.

MCM Mama said...

I'm not sure I've ever gotten flowers delivered to me…

I tip the food delivery guys and furniture guys, so I imagine I'd tip a flower person. I don't tip UPS or FedEx, act, but most of the time, they knock and run anyways.

Every once in a while it's fun to take a job that's different than our real jobs for a day.

Sean said...

You're supposed to tip someone that delivers flowers or the UPS/FedEx folks? I had no idea. Food delivery folks, yes, but the other is new to me.

P said...

I'll be honest, I only tip delivery people when I'm getting a takeaway delivered. It wouldn't occur to me to do otherwise, although there's not as big a tipping culture in the UK.

I suppose if people are getting flowers delivered they're also going to be caught a bit off-guard so wouldn't have a tip prepared to go even if they WERE a big tipper?

Fredulous said...

I'm in Ireland. Tipping in general isn't as socially compulsory. But it's still done. Not by me, though.

Andrew Burton said...

I like your blog as you mentioned many actual thoughts.