28 December 2011

"Working for the man every night and day" --Tina Turner

So, in some misguided attempt to prepare for a job I thought I might like to do in retirement, I took a second job.


5 Reasons I'm Grateful I'm Now Working a Second Job

1.  It's humbling.  Where I know a whole lot about Job 1 or have been faking it so long everyone thinks I do, EVERYTHING about Job 2 is new.  This means I'm making mistakes and saying "Um, I don't know but let me find out" A LOT.  Plus, a few Urkel-worthy Did I do that??s.  Really, this is amazingly good for me because 'groveling, obsequious idiot' is much preferable to 'snotty, condescending jackass'.

2.  It's making me appreciative.  Suddenly, Job 1's perks look a lot perkier.
 
3.  Lack of boredom or insomnia.  Working 7 days a week means never having to wonder what to do with all that pesky free time.  Sometimes I fall asleep in the middle of a sent

4.  I don't take my husband for granted.*  Sometimes I get to see Hubs for a few hours and it's quite delightful!  No, really!  I still remember what he looks like so I can pick him out in a crowd.  So, you know... that's nice.

5.  Extra cash.  I didn't take this job for the money, and it's a good thing since the pay stinks, but on top of Job 1's salary, it's really nice to get a second paycheck.  PLUS, I'm making commissions and I even got a holiday bonus for the first time EVAH!  Ca-ching!

On the downside, it means I don't get to hang out with my friends much and blogging has evaporated.  I miss them.  And it.  And you.  But, in about a month, I'll stop working Sundays and maybe get to luxuriate in activities like doing laundry.

Which brings us to the question du jour:  Fabric softener:  Manna from heaven or the devil's plaything?  Discuss.

Wishing you a joyful 2012,

L A Cochran






* As much.

9 comments:

Mike said...

That first toon reminded me that when your working it's always good not to be in the same proximity as your boss.

Wv: deduck - obviously it's de duck.

Gilahi said...

Hey! A blog post! I guess that means you're still around somewhere...

Unknown said...

MORE blogging! I miss your pretty posts. Congrats on the new job. I am still looking for the perfect job that makes me not want to commit homicide daily!

Lemon Gloria said...

It sounds like you have a great attitude about this new 24/7 work business. And more cash is always good.

I'm not such a fan of the fabric softener. Too much scent.

The Bug said...

Yay - a post from LA! Love the cartoons - I should show the first one to my former boss. She would find it funny - now.

I can't even imagine trying to work another job - not that I don't have the time, but when would I read blogs?

As for fabric softener, we used to use it for our sheets back when they were new (they were pretty stiff back in the day), but now that we've had them for oh, 10 years or so, they don't need the softener. Glue might be good.

Sean said...

Glad to see that you're back with a new blog post! I hope that all is well and that you get some time to relax.

Alice said...

oooof. i took a second job for a bit (at my pole studio, just 1x/week) and it was already more than i wanted/needed. i'm thoroughly impressed that you have such a ROBUST 2nd job! and don't want to strangle people, i mean!

lacochran's evil twin said...

Mike: deduck-what your accountant does to lower your taxes.

Gilahi: I'm over here! No wait, I'm over here now!

Vivan Leigh: OOOooo, you do have high standards. And thanks!

Lemon Gloria: I sometimes pay extra for items because they are scent free. That's right, I'm paying more for stuff that has less mixed in!

The Bug: Glue! Ha!

Sean: Thanks and right back atcha! Is he/are you sleeping through the night yet?

Alice: Oh, sometimes I want to strangle people, But most of the time not. If I had to do pole routines, I'd definitely be stabby.

Cinderellen said...

Fabric softener - def from the devil. Gunks up the inside of your dryer, and not only does it blow nasty chemicals all over your laundry room but it also treat your neighbors to clouds of toxic gunk. The Little Woman looooves it, so I try to make sure all of the laundry is done before she gets home. :-) I hear dryer balls will do the job but I am not sure whether it will damage the clothes.