21 July 2006

Buzzbuzzbuzz went the Treo/Noise pollution/Rudeness line

I know I'm old but I can remember the day when the strangest sounds you could expect while sitting in a meeting were those associated with bodily functions. Okay, so those aren't great... or desireable. At least you can expect an "excuse me" muttered or a sheepish grin.

These days, it's cell phones playing tunes and Treos buzzing like bumble bees every time a message comes in and no awareness that this is inappropriate. Is it any wonder we are a nation of attention deficit folks when we are constantly bombarded by interrupting noises--and we feel we must respond to them? All of them??!

I don't know if this is a case of "Look how important I am" or if its just the condition of work life these days.

Me? I set my little Palm planner's noise to OFF so everbody doesn't have to hear me clicking away. And my phone? (She looks left and right for the culture police before whispering:) I turn my phone off.

The rudeness line is shifting dramatically. I don't know what to do about it but I sure don't want to be a part of it.

1 comment:

Dezel Quillen said...

Hello Laura,

Valid point indeed, my father who lives in CA had a nightmare of a date he was telling me about.

Twice in the movies with a lady he was out with, she not only answered her cell phone while the movie was playing, but she actually talked with her kids about rubbish. He said people were looking at them like they were from Venus and hurling Shhh Shhhh their way. He was embarrassed and it is safe to say they will not be going to movies anymore (lol).

Happy Sipping!