21 May 2007

I know I know: TV (Switch It Off Part II)


I know, I know. I was the one saying we should all walk away from our televisions. Yes, I'm still watching. Aren't you?


Let me offer rationaliza--er, explanations for the counter argument:


  • Since the number one topic around the water cooler is American Idol, maybe TV is what will ultimately re-create community, not destroy it. People connect over their shared TV experience. Even if its not shared in the moment. Maybe TV can be used for good as well as evil.

  • Maybe watching guilty pleasures like American Idol and Celebrity Fit Club keep us from indulging in more disgusting habits. Perhaps this level of schadenfreude is sufficient to meet most people's crueler needs.

Yeah, let's go with that.


Tangential topic: Not only have we been experiencing this colossal reality TV movement, we have these reality commercials to contend with, too. I, for one, HATE both the Volkwagen "experience the crash" commercials and the OnStar "hear the panicked, desperate cries for help" ads. This is a level of stress people shouldn't have to experience unless they are the ones in the situation. I don't need more adrenaline surges, thank you very much. Foy!



No comments: