27 April 2007

Bits of Flotsam

Why is it that the people who pontificate the most can't understand why nobody wants to listen to them?

I have now gotten the 4,532nd organizational phone list this month. I gave up printing each one out. Now I print out every 10th or so. It's close enough given tomorrow there will be more organizational changes and no doubt the updated phone list distributed in both the a.m. and p.m.

Cool quote to ponder:
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." --Albert Einstein
As Linda Richman would say "Discuss amongst yourselves."

Remember when Hollywood produced B movies? They weren't phenomenal but they were sometimes enjoyable and didn't cost $50B to create/market and didn't run 3 hours long.

Do people in other countries get their cars detailed? It seems like such a self-absorbed American thing to do. I am hoping to get my car detailed tomorrow, self-absorbed American that I am.

At what point do you get to respond to invitations with "No. We love you but we're just too dang busy." ?? I guess it wasn't so many years ago when I was longing for something to do on the weekends. Now every one seems to be booked up months in advance. I guess I should be grateful for these kinds of problems.

I'm always disappointed when I hear about an author all my life and then read him/her and think: what's all the fuss about? Maybe I just don't get the levels of complex symbolism. Or maybe not. Taste/preference is such a personal thing. On a related bit of flotsam: I'll often, at best, like 1 book on the best seller list and not be drawn at all to the others. But just the fact that this is the official list of currently beloved books makes me feel like I ought to like them all. Happily, I don't feel a need to buy them all.

If bookstores and libraries can co-exist, why can't music stores and free music downloads?

I know this is an unpopular sentiment right now but: sometimes road rage is appropriate! Just two days ago someone very nearly plowed into me making a u-turn even though I had right of way. I had to swerve into another lane to avoid getting hit. I blasted my horn and gesticulated wildly for a mile. No response. And don't even get me started on the fact that she was on the cell phone while making this bizarre driving maneuver. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing she couldn't hear the other side of the conversation well over my horn.

If appetizers are the best part of a wedding reception, why do we bother with a sit down meal? I say all appetizers, all night. We've already got the tapas craze. And we've always had dim sum. I say carry the movement farther and do a fixed price restaurant that's just butlers carrying trays of appetizers around for hours. They'd make a fortune on the drinks, as they do anyway, and things could be mass produced to keep costs down. Remember, you saw it here first.

No comments: