26 January 2010

"I heard it through the grapevine" --Marvin Gaye


So, Office Politics is king right now in my organization. OP has already beaten up a half dozen people who dared to hang out in the locker room a smidge too long and there are rumors of swirlies. Well, more than rumors. A few people have come back with dripping hair.

No, no. Don't have to go. I'll hold it until I get home.


So, you'll forgive me if I'm a little distracted.* See, every day there are more stories.

Me? I'm quietly doing my homework and maybe a little extra credit, avoiding reasons to call attention to myself, and periodically checking for "kick me" signs.

Fun times.

And since I've gone off on this high school analogy, let's extend it to the question of the day. Clue me in: Do high school students still pass notes? Is it all electronic now? Does the teacher catch you and make you read your text to the entire class? Has the traditional handwritten "Check a box" note been replaced by a radio button survey? Are the crude drawings of Mr. McFinkle's butt now crafted lovingly with Photoshop?



* What do you mean "You're full of excuses"?! I really was sick last week and there really is office politics going on and my neighbor's dog probably ate my blog post. It's possible. He threw up something chunky looking so it might have been that.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Sigh. Passing notes. And I'm really, really glad that I work alone.

Narm said...

Isn't blogging like passing notes for grown ups?

Reya Mellicker said...

I bet everyone texts each other now, who knows?

As for office politics, wow, I remember that. Sometimes I think I miss office culture, but then I read something like this and I remember. Oh yeah.

Duck and cover! This, too, shall pass.

Liebchen said...

I once had a friend deliver a note to me while I was in class, under the cover of it being from another teacher. Kind of ballsy on his part.

Now, I'm guessing everyone just texts.

the dogs' mother said...

Office politics is just another version of bullying played by grown ups.

Tania said...

As much as I love being away from all the BS of the office, it does spice things up a little. Good luck laying low.

restaurant refugee said...

I'm with Kate - working alone has many downsides (sloth, diminished ability to effectively communicate, etc.) but the absence of office politics is certainly not among them.

emma said...

I feel so old.
I'm sure kids now just text each other. Such a shame. I loved the excitement/danger of sliding a note across the floor in one of those metal, pencil lead holders, holding my breath in fear the teacher would turn around or someone's wayward foot would send it on a detour directly into the arch of whatever guy the note was invariably about.

Barbara said...

You'll have to find someone young enough to answer your questions. My guess is it's all electronic and it can easily be concealed. It would be hard to be a teacher today.

Berto said...

Dude, good point. Do they text or IM or still pass notes? I coach a high school mock trial group and I'm totally asking them that question.

lacochran said...

Kate: Is that a wistful sigh?

Narm: Touche'.

Reya Mellicker: That's my guess but I have yet to get confirmation. Kinda sad as nothing replaces a handwritten note in my book.

Liebchen: That *was* ballsy. And hilarious.

froggy: Glad the point didn't allude you.

Mac and Cheese: Thanks.

restaurant refugee: True, but regular paychecks trump that.

emma: ExACTly! It was an artform in itself.

Barbara: That's what I'm trying to do. Someone's got to know.

12minds: Dude, report back! Thanks!