18 March 2008

A Trip to the National Portrait Gallery

I've taken a few days off from work (and from most things) in honor of my birthday. The goal: no stress. The result: Yeah... it's been pretty effective. :)

In the process, I've had a number of wonderful experiences. This included taking myself down to the National Portrait Gallery to see "RECOGNIZE! Hip Hop and Contemporary Portraiture." This exhibit seems to have created some controversy but, then, what is art for if not to challenge you in new ways? I liked it... particularly Kehinde Wiley's portraits and one of the Jefferson Pinder videos. If you haven't seen this exhibit, check it out.

And while you're there, check out the Katherine Hepburn exhibit. Great photos and you can get within a foot or two of her four Academy Awards. Well, I thought it was cool. That's as close as I'll ever get to one.

Plus, up on the top floor is a very striking modern art/color block exhibit which I liked a lot, too.

Take the metro to Gallery Place/Chinatown and you're there. Needless to say, lots of good restaurants in the area, too.

JoeBob says "Check it Out!"

No comments: