26 July 2007

Poor Spelling is the Means

Have you noticed that there are websites that have alMOST the same address as very common websites. So say you want www.blogger.com but you fail to spell it correctly or you suffer from "fat fingers" and what you get is www.bloggear.com... is it just a coincidence that this address is so close to a popular address? Maybe, but I think not. Here's my conspiracy theory du jour: there are people that take advantage of misspellings and confusion (was that .com or .net??) to redirect web flow to their own nefarious purposes. I think they pick names that are one letter off or exactly the same except for the extension and take advantage of the halo effect of web popularity.

Well, that's what I think. But, then, I'm not a very trusting individual.

No comments: