20 December 2006

Spinning the Wheel of Fortune at the Christmas Party

Well, I lucked out this year. At the office Christmas party gift exchange, I managed to get rid of something I wasn't using nor planning to use and replace it with something I actually think I'll use . And, the thing I got rid of was highly desireable to several folks in the room. So that's good karma all around.

Curious game, this party gift exchange. Put something wrapped into the middle, then, in pre-determined order, either pick something wrapped out of the middle or steal something from someone else.

I was one of the lucky ones. I picked a relatively high number so I could scope out what others picked and steal without having to go for an unknown. That was a good thing, looking at the majority of cheesy gifts being "regifted." Felt a little sorry for the people that unwrapped hideous stuff that nobody wanted to steal from them. [Reminds me of an old comedy routine that consists of a coupla guys saying "What IS that?" "I think it's a... what the hell IS that?" etc.] But, hey, these are $10 or less items anyway so how badly can you get stuck in the exchange?

I'm not sure the message "if you're not happy with what you've got, steal somebody else's stuff" is really the moral we want to be putting forward, even in a game setting, but everybody seemed to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, with this holiday season, I have a new crop of things that will likely go into the closet for next year's gift exchange. Then, again, it might be a good time to give away some things to charity. As was clear from the game, one man's trash can truly be another man's treasure.

Happy holidays to all. And may you receive the gifts you want most!

1 comment:

Dezel Quillen said...

Hello,

Glad to hear you received a nice gift. We do a White Elephant and this year I opted out because everyone was bringing prank gifts last year. If I want a toilet seat I will by it myself (lol). Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Happy Sipping!

Dezel