07 November 2013

"Waiting at the station with the work day wind a'blowin'" --Carole King

                          [Me, looking forward to another day at work.]


                           [Clearly he went to the wrong Subway.]

We ride in silence on the subway, absorbed in phones/readers/books/newspapers.  And, I gotta tell you, I'm loving this part of my day.  Getting a chance to read for 20 minutes in the morning and evening does wonders for me. This is much better than the frothing at the mouth, speed demon I am behind the wheel.

But today, the train is more sluggish than usual, making stops between platforms and making longer stops than normal on the platforms.  We grim little hamsters have no choice but to wait, pawing at our phone buttons for the magic pellets that make our lives complete. 

After what feels like a rather lengthy wait on a platform, the doors close and we start to move.  At this point the conductor says over the speaker, "Do you SEE the train that's DIRECTLY BEHIND ME??"  We look up in surprise.  Clearly he is not talking to us but still...

Oy.

So, today I am thankful for the subway train driver who decided not to wait for clearance to get moving again. 


6 comments:

Mike said...

Looks like the tomato guy didn't get in the subway door quite fast enough.

the dogs' mother said...

My only experience with a subway was riding The Tube in London as a tourist.

The Bug said...

The few times I've been in DC we've ridden the metro & I LOVED it. So wish I had that option here. I make do by listening to audio books on my commute.

And yes, thankful for independent thinkers who choose not to get bashed in the behind by a train!

Little Ms Blogger said...

I used to commute on the T when I lived in Boston and miss being forced to take time out for me instead of only focusing on my to-do list for the day.

I'm working on doing of a more 'for me' than a 'to-do' daily list and it is incredibly difficult.

Tania said...

Double Oy!

lacochran's evil twin said...

Mike: Ha! At least he didn't let his juice fly.

the dog's mother: I did that. SOOOOO quiet.

The Bug: If we could only get colleges to teach independent thinking. You know, through memorization. ;)

Little Ms Blogger: Maybe if you put your "for me" activity actually ON your "to do" list?

Tania: :)